Mara is an accomplished health care executive with a deep understanding of federal health care law and policy, including delivery system reform, physician payment and Medicare payment models.
Most recently Mara served as the senior vice president of federal affairs at America’s Physician Groups (formerly the California Association of Physician Groups, CAPG), a professional association representing medical groups and independent practice associations practicing in capitated, coordinated care models. As head of the Washington, DC, office, Mara worked on behalf of the association’s member organizations to advance policies that promoted coordinated care, including working with members of Congress and their staffs, the administration, health policy stakeholders and coalitions to advance alternative payment models. Mara’s work covered a wide variety of issue areas, including implementation of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) and Medicare Advantage policy, as well as issues related to the Medicare physician fee schedule and Medicare accountable care organizations.
Previously, Mara was counsel in the health industry practice at a law firm in Washington, DC. In that role, she focused on a variety of issues affecting health industry clients, with a particular emphasis on health policy and regulatory issues facing physician organizations, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and academic medical institutions.
George Washington University School of Law, J.D. (with high honors)
George Washington University, M.P.H.
University of California, Davis, B.A.
- Led advocacy efforts related to the implementation of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA)
- Spearheaded advocacy to improve upon Medicare Accountable Care Organizations
- Assisted medical groups and independent practice associations in understanding federal policy, law and regulations
- Successfully developed a physician group coalition to advance Medicare Advantage policy and payment issues
- Advocated for the creation of an advanced alternative payment model in Medicare Advantage