Senior Director Sheila Madhani will participate in the upcoming live webinar program “New CMS BPCI Advanced Bundled Payment Model: Risks, Regulatory Requirements, Implementation Challenges“.
McDermott+Consulting Senior Director and MACRA Resource Center director Sheila Madhani will participate in the upcoming live webinar program “New CMS BPCI Advanced Bundled Payment Model: Risks, Regulatory Requirements, Implementation Challenges”
Additional program and registration information:
On January 9, 2018, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) launched its new voluntary “Bundled Payments for Care Improvement Advanced” (BPCI Advanced) model, to begin on October 1, 2018 and run through 2023.
Under the traditional Medicare fee-for-service payment model, Medicare pays providers for each service performed. Under the BPCI Advanced model, participants can earn additional revenue if the total expenditures for a beneficiary’s episode of care are kept below an overall spending target that factors in quality. BPCI Advanced will qualify as an Advanced Alternative Payment Model (APM) under the Quality Payment Program.
BPCI Advanced participants will bear some financial risk and payments will be tied to quality performance. Participants must use EHR technology and modify their delivery of healthcare services to reduce Medicare expenditures while maintaining or improving performance quality. Healthcare providers and their legal counsel face significant legal and regulatory issues in structuring such bundled payment arrangements.
John M. Harris, MBA, Director at Veralon; Sheila Madhani, Senior Director at McDermott+Consulting and J. Peter Rich, Partner at McDermott Will & Emery, will discuss the new CMS BPCI Advanced model. The panel will describe this new model and will discuss the participation requirements and potential benefits and risks. They will also examine the BPCI Advanced model’s relationship with MIPS and offer insights to overcome implementation challenges.
The panel will review these and other critical issues:
- Overview of the BCPI Advanced model application process, including the overall model framework, the participation requirements and opportunities, and the application and participation timeline
- How the BPCI Advanced model aligns with Medicare’s Quality Payment Program and other Medicare value-based payment initiatives
- Provider and stakeholder responses to the new model
- Key drivers of success, including analytics, post-acute strategy and physician engagement including the management of physician relationships
- How to evaluate episode options and determine which episodes are likely to be successful
- The BPCI Advanced model’s interaction with ACOs and other value-based arrangements
- Availability of gainsharing/fraud and abuse waivers and issues
- Whether to use a convener and the negotiation and key provisions of the provider-convener contract
- Negotiation and key provisions of “collaborator agreements” with providers and ACOs that participate in the bundled payment arrangement (including Net Payment Reconciliation Amount on “NPRA Sharing providers”)
- Limitations on financial arrangements with NPRA sharing partners
- Potential state managed care and medical practice act regulatory issues
For more information or to register >
or call 1-800-926-7926 (ask for New CMS BPCI Advanced Bundled Payment Model on 4/24/18 and mention code: H81CJ1-U1NDXZ)