McDermott+Consulting (McDermottPlus) is a Washington DC-based healthcare consulting and data analytics firm, serving a wide range of clients including life science companies, health systems, physician groups, health plans, and other healthcare clients. The candidate selected as Sr. Manager will support clients and consultants with ongoing market access support as our clients’ needs expand in a changing environment that includes payment reform, measuring quality of care, and achieving cost efficiencies in care delivery.
The Sr. Manager should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple project deadlines, have independent problem-solving skills and can work collaboratively in a team environment.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide subject-matter knowledge on Medicare, Medicaid and private commercial coverage, coding and payment policy and other market access-related issues impacting healthcare sectors including diagnostic laboratories, medical devices, pharmaceuticals and biologicals.
- Work with the market access team to solve complex client problems and engage clients with novel solutions and ideas
- Assist with designing strategic and tactical recommendations for clients to ensure optimal market access for client products
- Monitor, digest, and inform team members of relevant health policy changes (e.g. with Medicare payment rules)
- Understand analyses and insights of other entities (e.g., CMS, MEDPAC, OIG, ICER, benefit management companies)
- Present qualitative and quantitative results to both technical and nontechnical audiences in formats such as PowerPoint
- Directly interact with clients and other stakeholders, either in person, via teleconference or email
- Participate in firm business development and marketing activities including proposal and pitch writing, product development, relationship building, drafting of articles, and other activities as requested
- Work with other McDermottPlus staff as part of a cross-functional team to deliver results to clients
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in health policy, public policy, healthcare management, public health, public administration, health economics, business administration, or other relevant discipline
- At least 5-8 years related work experience; 2 years of consulting experience preferred
- 3-5 years of reimbursement specific experience
- A strong interest in and foundational knowledge of Medicare payment systems (e.g., inpatient hospital, outpatient hospital, physician office, clinical laboratory, and other payment setting/schedule)
- Knowledge of existing claims and coding systems such as CPT, HCPCS, and ICD-10
- Ability to manage multiple high-priority projects simultaneously
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically PowerPoint and Excel
- Demonstrated research and writing skills; basic analytic and quantitative experience a plus
- Strong presentation skills
- Familiarity with major healthcare industry stakeholders (associations, advocates, and government agencies).
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stoop, talk and hear
- Employee must occasionally lift up to twenty (20) pounds
- Typical indoor office environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people within this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this job.