The Physician-Focused Payment Model Technical Advisory Committee (PTAC) recently announced two public meetings scheduled for March 13-14 and April 10-11. Registration information is available here.
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) of 2015 requires PTAC to assess the extent to which submitted proposals meet the criteria for Physician Focused Payment Models established by the Secretary of Health and Human Services in regulations at 42 CFR §414.1465. Public deliberations are part of this assessment process. PTAC began accepting proposals on December 1, 2016 and several proposals are posted on their website. While an agenda has not yet been released for either meeting, PTAC may begin conducting the required public deliberations of the proposals they have received so far during these upcoming meetings.
PTAC Proposal Review and Recommendation Process
PTAC has established a rolling submissions policy and a 16-week review process. The review process includes:
- Identification of PTAC reviewers without conflicts
- Appointment of a preliminary review committee
- Review of proposal by preliminary review team
- Public comment period
- Report from preliminary review team
- Public meeting on the proposal
- Discussion and vote by PTAC on the proposal
The vote by PTAC will result in one of the following decisions directed to the Secretary:
- Not recommended
- Recommended for:
- Limited-scale testing of the proposed payment model
- Implementation of the proposed payment model
- Implementation of the proposed payment model as a high priority
The Secretary will make the final decision on which proposals with result in a payment model implemented by the Innovation Center.
PTAC has five proposals posted on their website. Generally, the public comment period is set at three weeks and currently one proposal is open for public comment.
- Project Sonar submittedbytheIllinoisGastroenterology Group and Sonar MD, LLC
- Comment period closed January 20, 2017
- The COPD and Asthma Monitoring Project submitted by Pulmonary Medicine, Infectious Disease and Critical Care Consultants Medical Group Inc. of Sacramento, California (PMA)
- Comment period closed January 12, 2017
More information on PTAC is available on their website.
Click here to access the McDermottPlus MACRA Resource Center.