The Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) opened the portal for certain types of providers to apply for reimbursement for COVID-19 testing and treating services for the uninsured. These funds are part of the Public Health and Social Services Emergency Fund and provide reimbursements on a rolling basis directly to eligible providers for claims that are attributed to the testing and treatment of COVID-19 for uninsured individuals. Additional guidance about the uninsured fund can be found in this FAQ document.
Reimbursement will be made for qualifying testing for COVID-19 and treatment services with a primary COVID-19 diagnosis, including the following:
- Specimen collection, diagnostic, and antibody testing.
- Testing-related visits including in the following settings: office, urgent care, or emergency room, or via telehealth.
- Treatment, including office visit (including via telehealth), emergency room, inpatient, outpatient/observation, skilled nursing facility, long-term acute care (LTAC), acute inpatient rehab, home health, DME (e.g., oxygen, ventilator), emergency ground ambulance transportation, non-emergent patient transfers via ground ambulance, and FDA-approved drugs as they become available for COVID-19 treatment and administered as part of an inpatient stay.
- FDA-approved vaccine, when available.
- For inpatient claims, the date of admittance must be on or after February 4, 2020.
After having signed up through the announced HRSA portal, providers can begin submitting claims electronically on May 6, and the agency estimates that by mid-May providers can expect to begin receiving reimbursement for submitted claims.
The agency will likely provide additional guidance in the coming weeks. More information can be found on the HRSA COVID-19 Claims Reimbursement website. And to stay up-to-date on COVID-19 related news, please visit the McDermottPlus Coronavirus Resource Center.
For more information visit the McDermottPlus Payment Innovation Resource Center or contact Sheila Madhani at email@example.com, Mara McDermott at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rachel Stauffer at email@example.com.