McDermott Will & Emery is a leading global law firm helping to propel the success of today’s most respected, dynamic, and important organizations. More than 1,200 lawyers strong, we bring our personal passion and legal prowess to bear in every matter for our clients and the people they serve. Pride and determination abound here because every member of our team is respected, supported, and inspired to exceed. We have been recognized as a top firm to work by The American Lawyer, Working Mother Magazine, Vault, and the Human Rights Campaign for both lawyers and business professionals.
As part of our ongoing commitment to be #AlwaysBetter for our people, clients, and communities, we have created a culture of belonging that champions your individuality and authenticity as both a person and a professional. From our competitive compensation, top benefits and award-winning professional development programs to industry-leading wellness initiatives, we support you through every stage of your life and career so you can live a life you love both in and outside of the office.
The Real Estate Paralegal/Specialist provides legal support to the attorneys within the designated practice area. This position prepares real estate closing documents and assistance with transaction closings. The Paralegal works under general supervision and relies on limited experience to plan and accomplish goals.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Perform due diligence including review of title commitments, zoning reports, surveys and underlying title documents and entity documents, coordinate and implement transactions and closings
• Organize and maintain due diligence using document management systems
• Supporting the corporate secretarial function, including drafting minutes, resolutions and written consents and maintaining corporate minute books and other corporate records
• Assistance with transaction closings, preparation of closing certificates, collection and organization of closing documents, and creation of closing binders
• Other responsibilities as client needs dictate
• Bachelor’s degree or Paralegal Certificate
• At least three (3) years of related work experience, in real estate
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word)
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and prioritize responsibilities
• Ability to work flexible and/or fluctuating work hours
• Ability to handle and maintain confidential information
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stoop, talk and hear
• Employee must occasionally lift up to twenty (20) pounds
• Typical indoor office environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people within this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this job.