McDermott Will & Emery is a leading global law firm helping to propel the success of today’s most respected, dynamic, and important organizations. More than 1,200 lawyers strong, we bring our personal passion and legal prowess to bear in every matter for our clients and the people they serve. Pride and determination abound here because every member of our team is respected, supported, and inspired to exceed. We have been recognized as a top firm to work by The American Lawyer, Working Mother Magazine, Vault, and the Human Rights Campaign for both lawyers and business professionals.
As part of our ongoing commitment to be #AlwaysBetter for our people, clients, and communities, we have created a culture of belonging that champions your individuality and authenticity as both a person and a professional. From our competitive compensation, top benefits and award-winning professional development programs to industry-leading wellness initiatives, we support you through every stage of your life and career so you can live a life you love both in and outside of the office.
The Public Relations Manager supports the Firm’s proactive and reactive public relations strategy by identifying, pitching and placing opportunities that align with Firm, practice and industry, and individual profile-raising priorities. This position partners with Firm stakeholders, business development teams, events and practice/industry marketing teams to successfully implement strategic communication programs.
As a Public Relations Manager, you will:
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with priority media outlets and key industry
- Develop strong relationships with Firm stakeholders, including leadership, lawyers and lateral hires; collaborate with business development, events and practice/industry marketing teams to implement strategic communication programs that align with objectives.
- Monitor ongoing industry trends, editorial calendars and competitor activity; provide trend
- Identify opportunities; pitch and place profile-raising
- Craft media messages, including research and writing of press releases, drafting of deal announcements and other client-related communications as well as copy for com and other social media channels.
- Serve as a Firm contact for media requests; coordinate information and interview
- Collaborate with external agencies as directed by associate director, US public
- Leverage Firm’s news distribution and media monitoring tools, including training for new
- Track and report on KPIs and media metrics; maintain working knowledge of Firm technologies and other resources.
- Track and report on coverage utilizing internal announcements, newsletters and com, among others.
- Secure reprints from publishers and leverage as
- Provide back-up support to US-based and European and Asian PR teams as well as the Firm’s participation in surveys and directories, including research and interviews as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least five (5) years of related work experience
- Ability to build strong media relationships within key sectors
- Knowledge of news distribution, media monitoring and tracking software
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and prioritize responsibilities
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential information
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and under own direction and initiative
- Ability to travel as needed