Build your big career with the Firm that does Big Law better. McDermott Will & Emery is a leading global law firm that brings together more than 1,400 lawyers and 1,200 business professionals. We celebrate excellence, collaboration and community and have been recognized as a top workplace by The American Lawyer, Working Mother Magazine, Vault and the Human Rights Campaign.
At McDermott, we don’t just invest in your future, we accelerate your career – wherever it may lead. That includes supporting you both in and outside of the office.
With us, you’ll find:
The Conflicts Attorney identifies, analyzes, and resolves potential conflicts of interest related to the Firm’s new business acquisition and lateral hiring for all Firm offices. This position ensures new matters and attorney hires are compliant with the Firm’s conflicts and risk management policies and procedures. The Conflicts Attorney works under minimal supervision and relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Conduct conflict analysis on new Firm business and lateral hires
• Prepare, audit, and present conflict reports to attorneys to resolve issues in a timely manner
• Consult with partners, General Counsel’s office, and Professional Responsibility Committee to create and maintain effective screening restrictions and ensure appropriate ethical waivers are in place
• Review engagement letters and outside counsel guidelines to ensure Firm-wide compliance and assist the New Business Committee
• Perform legal research, including review of case law and jurisdictional issues related to conflicts clearance, lateral hiring, ethical walls, and related issues
• Juris Doctorate (JD)
• Licensed in CA or IL
• At least two (2) years of related work experience
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word)
• Knowledge of time entry and conflict of interest databases
• Familiarity with legal research tools and databases
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational and analytical skills
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and prioritize responsibilities
• Ability to handle and maintain confidential information
• Ability to learn new concepts and skills quickly
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stoop, talk and hear
• Employee must occasionally lift up to twenty (20) pounds
• Typical indoor office environment
As part of our ongoing commitment to be #AlwaysBetter for our people, clients and communities, we have created a culture of belonging that champions your individuality as both a person and a professional. From our competitive compensation, top benefits and award-winning professional development programs to industry-leading wellness initiatives, we support you through every stage of your life and career. With McDermott, you can live a life you love both in and outside of the office.
Successful candidates will be provided with outstanding career opportunities and will receive a competitive total rewards package with the opportunity to earn performance-based bonuses.
Expected Pay Range in Los Angeles & Orange County $109,000 – 149,000
Please note that quoted salary ranges are not guarantees of what final salary offers may be. Base pay is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Base pay is only one part of the Total Rewards that MWE provides to compensate and recognize our staff professionals for their work. Full time positions are eligible for a discretionary bonus and a comprehensive benefits package.