McDermott Will & Emery is a leading global law firm helping to propel the success of today’s most respected, dynamic, and important organizations. More than 1,200 lawyers strong, we bring our personal passion and legal prowess to bear in every matter for our clients and the people they serve. Pride and determination abound here because every member of our team is respected, supported, and inspired to exceed. We have been recognized as a top firm to work by The American Lawyer, Working Mother Magazine, Vault, and the Human Rights Campaign for both lawyers and business professionals.
As part of our ongoing commitment to be #AlwaysBetter for our people, clients, and communities, we have created a culture of belonging that champions your individuality and authenticity as both a person and a professional. From our competitive compensation, top benefits and award-winning professional development programs to industry-leading wellness initiatives, we support you through every stage of your life and career so you can live a life you love both in and outside of the office.
The Client Accounting Manager oversees the billing operations in designated practice group(s). This position ensures timely and accurate billing procedures and enforces best practices and process improvement initiatives. The Client Accounting Manager relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Manage the workflow and performance of the billing team, including providing ongoing performance feedback and participating in the annual staff performance evaluation process
• Work with the billing supervisor to manage the day-to-day operations of the local office’s billing functions; oversee the month- and year-end closing processes
• Collaborate with the director of client accounting to establish and implement standard operating procedures and departmental policies
• Monitor and evaluate process improvement plans and projects to ensure milestone completion
• Provide insight into monthly billing performance throughout the month by tracking key performance indicators
• Collaborate with and provide insight to the IT department to build out the training platform for all billing specialists defining the role and expectations
• Proactively establish and maintain stakeholder relationships in order to promote collaboration between teams
• Serve as the first line of escalation for Billing issues from team
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least five (5) years of related work experience
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word)
• Legal billing and accounting software experience preferred
• Aderant experience preferred
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong motivational and leadership skills
• Strong mathematical and analytical skills
• Strong leadership skills
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and prioritize responsibilities
• Ability to handle and maintain confidential information
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stoop, talk and hear
• Employee must occasionally lift up to twenty (20) pounds
• Typical indoor office environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people within this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
Successful candidates will be provided with outstanding career opportunities and will receive a competitive total rewards package with the opportunity to earn performance-based bonuses.
Expected Pay Range in New York $143,000 – 196,000
Expected Pay Range in Los Angeles & Orange County $131,000 – 179,000
Expected Pay Range in San Francisco & Silicon Valley $149,000 – 204,000
Please note that quoted salary ranges are not guarantees of what final salary offers may be. Base pay is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Base pay is only one part of the Total Rewards that MWE provides to compensate and recognize our staff professionals for their work. Full time positions are eligible for a discretionary bonus and a comprehensive benefits package.